Saturday, December 15, 2012

Gotta Think Creatively

Lancelot has had stomach issues. His meals are not processing very well. So we are trying a bland diet of rice and chicken to hopefully bulk him up. He is not drinking much water, so we are worried about him getting dehydrated.

How do you get a dog to drink water? Before I "googled" it, we came up with our own idea. Add chicken to a bowl of water. It's working. He is slurping. YAH!


After success  I just googled it, and it says to add chicken broth to the water, after they have sniffed the broth. Well, I came close.

On a new journey - The Dane Parents

3 comments:

Dexter said...

Oh no! I am sorry your little baby is having tummy trouble. Chicken broth is good and you can buy the low salt version. I always get some water in my food bowl because I am such a fussy drinker and Momma worries about dehydration. I hope he starts eating and drinking normally soon.

Kisses,
Dexter

Unknown said...

Well we never had a dane not drink before... Have you tried adding vodka to the water (joking of course) IF one of us ever makes a fuss over food (it only happened once..) our mom went on all four and pretended she was eating our food! We thought she was doing it for real and that if she was eating it, then we should too! Food is always more interesting when the humans are eating it. But as i said, that was a one off thing...
We hope Lancelot starts eating and drinking a bit more!
Lots of love, from Indigo and Malach

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

Congratulations on your new family members.

Oh, we have tried many things to encourage my drinking and prevent dehydration. We have added Pedialyte to some canned dog food to make a gravy, we have added Pedialyte to water, we made chicken broth (be careful of store bought brands they add onion which is not safe for us doggies), we tried the humans holding the bowl for me, we tried drinking it out of different containers, etc...

Hope your new guy is feeling much better.

Emma